Start: January-February 2019
Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) is a non-profit human rights and social justice organization. JFJ provides legal services to victims of injustice and conducts research and advocacy to improve good governance.
Scope of Work
The Accounting and Financial Officer will be responsible for accounting and financial affairs within the organization. They perform key functions related to budget, banking, financial reporting, and risk management. They will perform the following tasks.
1. Execute the organization’s financial affairs to ensure sound financial management:
- Managing the disbursement of funds within approved budgets
- Preparing and executing financial transactions for the organization
- Recording all financial transactions using accounting systems and software (e.g. QuickBooks)
- Preparing accurate and detailed financial reports on the financial status of the organization and any specific accounts or projects. Reports will include but are not limited to profit and loss statements, balance sheets, expenditure reports, and budget utilization reports.
2. Provide sound cash-flow management and ensure availability of funds for organizational activities
3. Ensure compliance with financial, accounting, and procurement policies and protocols:
- Reviewing transaction documentation, payment requisitions, and payment processes to maintain accounting controls
- Conducting account reconciliations, verifying financial transactions by reviewing documentation, and supporting internal audit functions
- Providing guidance to personnel on accounting procedure and financial management
- Supporting efficient financial management systems by recommending and implementing financial and accounting actions for the organization
4. Actively participate in organizational activities, planning, and reporting exercises
5. Complete other assignments relevant to effective financial and accounting management
Qualifications and competencies
- At least a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or relevant fields. Master’s degree is an asset.
- At least 3 years’ experience in applicable role(s)
- Strong knowledge of accounting systems and software
- Accounting certification (e.g. CPA) is a strong asset, but not required
- Experience working with NGOs and charities is an asset
Attractive salary; commensurate with experience
Interested candidates should email their resumes and letters to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 20, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.